Wednesday, June 16

Quick biscuits

Potlucks are great. I really do love to share a meal with friends. But it seems that all too often, the day of the potluck comes around and I am completely unprepared! It is not that I don't have anything to bring, its that all the things that I want to bring would simply take too long to prepare. (A case of procrastination at its finest...)

Well, last week Liza helped to host a "bike-loc" at the Urban Ecology Center and although I was somewhat prepared, again I felt as though I did not quite have enough time. I planned to bring dandelion jelly and violet jam, as the potluck's main focus was local food and what is more local than foraged foods? However, about two hours before the potluck it occurred to me that people would probably not want to eat jellies without something to eat them on. There was not enough time for a yeast bread and a quick bread would simply be too much. Tortillas would be fine, but perhaps not the perfect addition to sweet and tangy jams.

While looking through my cookbooks, for a quick but delightful fix, I came across the perfect addition: homemade biscuits! And luckily for me, the preparation time was as short as could be and the final product was delicious.
I came across this recipe for quick biscuits in my More-with-Less cookbook.

Quick Biscuits
2 cups of sifted flours
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of butter
3/4 cup of milk

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Sift together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, using your clean, clean hands, blend in the butter. Add milk, mixing until the dough can form into a soft ball.

2. Knead the dough for about 2 minutes on a floured surface until smooth. Then, roll the dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Using a circular glass, cut even circles and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

So delicious and so simple, just the way I like it!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment