Sunday, June 27

Caramel corn delight

A couple of weeks ago, my little brother Ben graduated form high school! I am so very happy for him but I cannot believe how quickly the time has flown. I feel a little bit old, but I suppose there is nothing I can do about that.

While home for the weekend, I was delighted to have a hand in the food preparation for his graduation party that was on Sunday. I always love cooking at home, since my kitchen at home is stocked with any possible kitchen gadget and the ingredients are supplied by my dearest mother. Though I selected many new recipes for the main dishes and sides, I chose to use one recipe that is not so new. This is, Janie's Caramel Corn recipe. Janie is our close family friend's sister-in-law. Long story short, it has been passed from hand to hand, kitchen to kitchen, for many years. Janie gave it to Beth, Beth to my mom, and my mom has since shared it with me; and now you can share it with your family and friends.
Beth's Caramel Corn
1 cup of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
1/2 cup of corn syrup
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla
6 quarts of popped popcorn

1. Melt butter in a large pot. Stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring this mix to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for five minutes. After five minutes, remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over the popcorn.

2. Spread on two large cookie pans, and bake for one hour at 250 degrees. Stir the popcorn about every 15 minutes.

You can store this popcorn in airtight containers for about 2 weeks! It makes a wonderful gift, as well as a delicious snack food. Delicious and easy to make; just the way I love it.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment