Hello dear friends! I am done with work for the summer and excited to start cooking up a storm again. I hope you are ready for loads of blog posts, because they are coming!
1. My garden bed is producing beautiful vegetables, including tomatoes, beets, broccoli, onions and yellow squash.
2. I am done with work and have two weeks off before school starts up again.
3. Jill moved back in! This is a very wonderful thing.
4. Kelsey moves in in two days and then, the adventures will truly begin.
5. Yesterday Jill and I had a wonderful day of cooking and preserving and farmers marketing. Here are some of our wonderful concoctions:
3-4 brown bananas
1 cup of brown sugar
1 stick of butter
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1 large splash of vanilla
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spices
1. Blend together the bananas, eggs, brown sugar and butter until it is smooth. Add in the dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Finally, fold in the remaining ingredients.
2. Pour into a large loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about one hour. So simple and so very delicious!
We enjoyed this banana bread warm, topped with butter and we also enjoyed it this morning for breakfast: a fresh spin on the ever-so-typical french toast breakfast.
3-4 slices of banana bread (about 3/4 inches thick)
3 eggs, scrambled
1 small splash of milk
An even smaller splash of vanilla
A dash of cinnamon
1. Blend eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Then dip the banana bread in mix and saturate both sides.
2. Heat a small patty of butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Cook bread in skillet for about two minutes on each side.
3. Top with butter and syrup or jam (we used home-made peach jam made by Jill! Stay tuned for this recipe soon!!) Also, if you have excess egg mix, don't be afraid to scramble that in the remaining skillet butter. It may seem ridiculous, but there is no sense in throwing away perfectly delicious eggs! A little salt and pepper and you have a nice little side of scrambled eggs.
Really, it was a great way to start the day. Wholesome and delicious.