Friday, March 26

Black Bean Veggie Burgers


Hi! This is Jill, another dweller/cook in the garden unit. This seems to be the week of burgers at the g-unit. Inspired by Wednesday's dinner, I decided to try my hand at making black bean burgers. My very first attempt at veggie burgers and it went great- so simple! I followed the guidelines from the Ali's previous post, but made a smaller batch and a few different ingredients.


Black Bean Burger
1/2 can of black beans
1 egg
1/2 can of tomatoes with hot chilies
onion to your pleasing
salt and pepper
dash of chili powder
1/2 cup of bread crumbs & tortilla chips - or more

First, I mashed up the beans and the egg together. I used only one egg and it seemed to work just fine, but I would recommend playing with the consistency. Then add the tomatoes and onion. It would be even better to use fresh tomatoes and peppers- but just work with what is in your pantry.

Then add your seasoning. I went with salt and pepper and chili powder to give it a bit of a kick.

The key to making the veggie burger consistency is the bread crumbs. Add enough until you can make a patty out of the mixture. I crushed up tortilla chips to go along with the bread crumbs. It is all about using what you having and being a little creative. Anything from crackers to chips to bread crumbs. Just make sure it is toasted and will give you a thicker consistency.

Then you are done mixing. So easy! Takes less then 10 minutes. Then just put them in a fry pan with olive oil and brown on each side.

I topped mine with smoked cheddar cheese. Use whatever toppings you like. And then dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment