Friday, January 6

Chicken Soup for the Children's Soul

Two of my dearest little friends, Nadia and Vera, recently found out that I had a blog. Upon finding this, they asked, "Are we on it?" Unfortunately, to date, they have not made an appearance on my blog; and why not, I am not sure! They are some of the loveliest girls I know. So I said, "Share your favorite recipe, and I will be sure to post the recipe and include you in the post!" No more than 24 hours later, I had a recipe in hand and knew what I had to do.
Vera and Nadia, sweet as could be!
Here is what I was told:
"Nadia's and Vera's favorite recipes come straight off of the back of the Ramon noodles package and frozen breaded chicken package, respectively. They aren't much into gourmet dining. I usually have to force them to eat my homemade cooking."
--Nadia and Vera's mom, Olga


Not to worry, she said. "Oh, wait, there is one thing they really like; Russian Chicken Noodle Soup!"


So here goes nothing, I am trying my hand at their favorite soup. Unfortunately we don't live in the same state anymore, so they will have to trust me and my photos and perhaps some reviews by my trustworthy family members/taste testers extraordinaire, as to whether or not the soup was a success. This recipe is exactly how I was given it, though I used a whole chicken rather than smaller cuts. Follow and you will find Nadia and Vera's favorite recipe!
For fun and color, I used purple potatoes!
Russian chicken noodle soup (from scratch of course)
1 whole chicken, uncooked
1 1/2 medium sized onions, whole
1 1/2 medium sized carrot, whole
2 medium sized potatoes
1/2 inch diameter bunch of dill, uncut
2 med size bay leaves
4 cups of egg noodles, any kind

1. Wash the chicken and place it in a medium size pot. Peel the onions. Put the whole one in the pot, and set the remaining 1/2 aside. Do the same with the carrots. Take 2/3 of the dill, tie with string, and put UNCUT in the pot; set the remaining dill aside. Put both bay leaves in the pot. Add water to the pot so the contents are fully submerged under about 1 1/2 inches of water. Add salt and black pepper. Boil over high heat; after it boils, turn down to low. Trim and discard of the froth. Simmer for about two hours until meat is tender. Take the meat out, put it in a bowl, set aside. 
2. Chop the remaining onion and carrot and sauté in 2 tbsp of vegetable oil until onions are golden brown. Add to the broth and bring it back to a boil. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, add to the broth. Add the noodles. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are soft (about 10 minutes). Finely chop the remaining dill. Once the potatoes and noodles are done, turn off the heat, add the chopped dill, and cover. Let it rest for about 15 minutes. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. You may want to try adding 2 tea spoons of sugar- you'll be surprised at the subtle but very pleasant difference it will make. Skin the chicken and cut into small chunks. Discard the skin and bones. Add the meat directly to the bowl immediately prior to serving. Do NOT let the meat sit in the soup. Enjoy with soft white bread!!!


I would say, it is quite the wonderful recipe. I don't cook with dill a lot, but it surely added a nice flavor and the stock made by cooking the chicken with the vegetables lends itself to a flavor-filled dinner treat. 


Let the soup warm your soul.
Me and the girls, a year ago or so
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment