Wednesday, June 1

Spring brings new things

Things are growing, in the garden unit these days. We had our first harvest of spinach from our garden plots down the road a couple weeks ago! We shared it with the neighborhood kidds, who loved it (which is wonderful, because it seems that not too many little ones enjoy spinach)! Today I went to check on the bed after being out of town for a couple days, and boy, has it really taken off. We will have spinach to feed the masses.
"This is a grassroots movement; move grass, grow food!"
-- Victory Garden Initiative
Also, a couple weeks ago (how time flies), the garden unit girls graduated college. What a grandiose weekend, if I may say so myself.  Though I need no reminder, the weekend filled me with confidence that I am surrounded by beautiful people. I was so fortunate to share the excitement with my dearest friends, and so many of their families. The occasion will forever be in my memory!
My dearest friends and I, celebrating graduation!
I have been preparing some lovely recipes lately, though I have not had much time to sit and write about them. However, here is a brief list of the things I have made, as of late:

Strawberry-rhubarb Pie; using Smitten Kitchen's delightful recipe! I especially loved the pie crust recipe included.

Blueberry Cream Pie; using A Cozy Kitchen's recipe. With this one, I replaced the vanilla extract with a teaspoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I'd say it was quite delicious.

Sorry I have no food photos to show you these recipes; you will just have to trust me that they sure were tasty! ALSO, if you are looking for some tasty food photos, check out my dearest friend Beth's blog for the Grace Farm Studios. It will make your heart melt.

Happy spring!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on graduating! And you ARE very lucky. As I've said before, I wish I'd gotten my head around the community of food while I was still in school. Great times, great friends. I love your group photo. You will SO look back at this in ten years and laugh and cry. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete