Saturday, February 19

Lovely

Valentine's Day has come and past, but I have been feeling the love throughout the week. There is something so wonderful about Valentine's Day. I mean, really, it is a day to remember to love; and there are so many ways to express love, which is beautiful in it self. This Valentine's Day was particularly lovely, as I was greeted with flowers and a letter from a certain love of mine, as well as homebaked treats from my mother. Our candy bowl was perpetually filled and the sun was brightly shining, as were the faces of most on Valentine's Day. The whole day seemed pretty idyllic, to say the least. Thank goodness for love!
One of the treats my mother made, were her famous oatmeal raisin cookies! These are such a treat and as I have been working on my baking lately, I have tried (successfully, I believe) to make them myself. In fact, they are so simple, and delicious, that perhaps you might enjoy making them too.

Mom's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
3/4 cup of shortening, softened
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3 cups of oats
Raisins

1. Beat together the shortening, brown sugar, sugar, egg, water and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to the creamed mix. Gradually add the oats until they are well combined. Stir in the raisins (you can also add walnuts!).

2. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the cookie sheet.
Bon appetite! 

In making them, I was happy to use oats from Oly, who we have come to recognize at the Milwaukee Winter Farmer's Market, and raisins from the Riverwest Co-op. I also used my homemade vanilla extract: such a treat, indeed!

I challenge you to try making these with local ingredients as well. It seems that delicious baked goods become a little tastier when they are made with ingredients that are associated with a smiling face and a personality.

Happy eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment