Tuesday, December 6

Winter is here!

But first a recap of my fall, in photos:
much time was spent, with the most beautiful people I know.
 
 
cooking with dear friends!  
and free food, saved from the trash!

And now, Omaha. A wonderful place, filled with new wonderful people! And finally, a chance to prepare food for myself again. Today, my project, inspired by my Milwaukee friends (who constantly inspire me!) and some milk that was about to go sour: homemade yogurt! A week or two back, I had purchased plain yogurt from the grocery store. Remembering Lauren and Bridget's resourceful use of remnant yogurt and milk, I thought to keep a small portion of the yogurt in order to make more in the future. It turns out, that the process is quite simple! And in the spirit of saving not wasting food, I tried my hand at some homemade yogurt today, with our milk on the edge. 

To make your own homemade yogurt, all you need is: 
A half gallon or so of milk (preferably 2% or whole) per every 3/4 cup of plain yogurt and a crock pot (or something to incubate the yogurt)

1. Pour the milk into the crock pot, and heat on low for 3 hours. The milk will become somewhat bubbly on top, but should not boil. This step helps to kill any unwanted bacteria! After 3 hours, turn off the crock pot, wrap it in a towel and allow to cool slightly. 

2. After 2 hours of cooling, add the yogurt and stir to incorporate. Wrap it back up with a towel and allow to set for another 8-12 hours, until the mix thickens. After it has set, stir and store in the refrigerator. 

*Save a cup at the end! And you can do it again!! 

Its easy as could be, and quite price efficient too. If you don't love plain yogurt, try adding honey or jam to add flavor! 

Happy cooking (and yogurt making!)

p.s. it is a winter wonderland in Omaha

No comments:

Post a Comment