Thursday, January 20

Sprout!

This has been a long time coming, but I am finally sprouting grains (thank you, dear Liza, for my very own sprouting kit!!). As winter is fully here, and we continue to eat non-packaged foods (though this was a little funny over the last month, since I was traveling and sharing meals prepared by others: which was wonderful, though sometimes contained packaged foods) I am seeking ways to remain nourished. Sprouting seeds and grains is a wonderful and simple way to spruce any meal while nourishing your body. Also, it is so exciting to watch your little seeds grow into sprouts!
My first seeds I am sprouting are broccoli seeds and mung beans. Liza gifted the broccoli seeds to me for Christmas, and I found the mung beans for a really good deal, at our local Indian grocery store. Liza made my kit for sprouting, which you can make too! It is composed of: Two large ball jars, a small piece of screen to cover each jar's mouth and a rubber band to hold the screen in place. That's it! Here is what to do:
That is:
1. Put one tablespoon of seeds in each jar.
2. Fill with water.
3. Soak overnight.
4. The next day, pour out the water, rinse and leave inverted to dry. Make sure the jar has suitable drainage, and the seeds are not setting in standing water: otherwise they may rot! Yuck!
5. Rinse again later that day.
6. Do that again everyday, twice a day for 4 to 5 days.
7. Eat.

Will keep in the refrigerator for about one week.
My sprouts are starting to sprout!

You can experiment with a large variety of seeds, beans and grains. Here is a really great site I found with ideas, recipes, supplies and facts. There are so many possibilities! And it is so fun!

Happy sprouting!

1 comment: